It’s not always a specific game (although this time it was Mass Effect.) But the general tendency to make some variant of “You’re nitpicking, it’s FANTASY!” as an argument when something is being criticized.
Internal consistency is incredibly important, it lets the audience (or player, or reader, or whatever) get immersed in the work and be convinced it’s a real world. That, even if there are fantastic elements, it still has rules that can’t be broken, just like ours. You need that, because if there are no rules, there’s no tension. Character consistency is also important for similar reasons, although most works are much better about that (except webcomics whoops)
And it’s not even like you can NEVER break rules once you establish them, you can, but you have to do it rarely and have a REASON the rule was broken. What you can’t do is establish rules and then completely discard them for plot convenience. It destroys tension and drama because it takes the viewer out of the story and makes everything in the story seem irrelevant.
Going back to Mass Effect to make a more concrete example, look at ME3’s ending. Despite what fanboys (and gaming journalists), nobody had a problem with that ending because it wasn’t ‘happy’. It’s because it had no explanation, and was essentially magic. In a series where EVERY SINGLE BIT OF TECHNOLOGY had an encyclopedia entry you could read! It caused a loss of suspension of disbelief. And once you lose that, you start noticing other problems and it all spirals from there.
If a lot of people are ripping on a work for plot holes or whatever, it’s usually not because they’re nitpicky assholes, the work usually broke suspension of disbelief somehow.
what if shinies were considered bad in the wild since it meant they will get killed easier, which would explain why there are so hard to find…
still think ryuko’s rad motorcycle outfit was the coolest. here’s one for satsuki as well lolllll and yes those are kamina glasses
Cully Hamner design and style guides for Renee Montoya/The Question.
REALLY just wanna take this chance to remind the people who follow me to not kill/trap opossums if they’re in your yard, and do not call animal control! Seriously.
- Opossums are literally 100% BIOLOGICALLY INCAPABLE of carrying rabies. Their body temperature is too cool to incubate it properly.
- Opossums are actually quite gentle and NOCTURNAL, so if they’re roaming, they’ve probably gotten lost, been injured, and are looking for a place to hide.
- Young opossums tend to try to climb into garbage cans when they’re starving. This is because THEY ARE LITERALLY STARVING. Don’t fucking shoot them or hit them with things because you wanna be some fucking macho top-of-the-food-chain cocksucker.
- Mama possums are amazing mothers and if you encounter an “aggressive” opossum, it’s probably because she’s got babies hanging off her nipple and she’s freaking out. They’re clumsy. Sometimes they don’t hear you coming and you catch each other off guard.
- Wanna lure an opossum off of your property? You can set up a box with some greens and cat kibble in it, hide it well, and lure them out that way. They’re actually quite harmless and keep other predators away. they eat lotsa gross stuff.
- Opossum mamas who get hit by cars often still have their helpless babies attached to them. Possums get a bad rep and people say they are “the dumbest animal”, but they are incredible creatures who have been around since the days of fucking dinosaurs so treat them well, okay?
More important facts about opossums:
1. Opossums, like cats, are meticulous groomers, resulting in them being one of the top predators for ticks in the wild. This make them an important deterrent in the spread of lyme disease.
2. The act of “playing dead” is not a conscious decision on the part of the opossum, but a defense mechanism that automatically activates when the animal is panicked. It might seem funny to you to see an opossum flop over, but you’re literally scaring them into fainting when you startle them, and potentially leaving them vulnerable to carrion eaters, so DON’T DO IT.
3. Opossums are not naturally aggressive, and will usually only bite as an absolute last resort if they feel cornered. They will hiss and drool and try to seem as intimidating as possible, but this is just an act, as opossums are terrible at physically defending themselves. Your dog is not in danger of being hurt by the “mean ol’ possum” because that fight is ALWAYS in the dog’s favor.
4. If you have to pick up an adult opossum, please don’t do it by the tail. It’s fine for babies and juveniles to hang from them, but as they get older, their bodies become too heavy and it puts a lot of strain on their muscles to be carried by the tail. You wouldn’t pick up a cat by their tail, so don’t pick up a possum that way either.
Je vous souhaite une Joyeuse Pâques !!!!!
I wish you a Happy Easter !!!! =) please don’t eat too much xP
PS: the animation have a little problem on Tumblr, I don’t know why, one drawing is missing … but it’s okay ^^)
Ne mangez pas trop de chocolat !!! Partagez avec moi =P
Okay, so hear me out. In Brawl, Samus is voiced by Alesia Glidewell. She’s done other voices, yes, but she’s also the face model for Chell in Portal.
They’re LONG FALL BOOTS
Hmmm… impractical… physically impossible… harumphing! *sarcasm over*
It doesn’t matter, people are gonna be whiny about it anyway =P
folks don’t want to be wrong or right, they just want to complain.
I don’t give a fuck they’re STILL the dumbest god damn thing in the world :V
OH HEY AND YOU KNOW THE LONG FALL BOOTS ACTUALLY SEEM LIKE THEY CAN FLEX AND SHIT TO ABSORB SHOCKS AND SHOT THOSE HEELS DON’T LOOK LIKE THAT DO THAT AT ALL :V